Saturday, August 16, 2014

On finishing a sketchbook

I finished a sketchbook yesterday. I admit, I didn't love this sketchbook, a Stillman & Birn Zeta. The paper didn't work for my style of watercolor, it went soggy and squishy and spongy too easily. And ink seemed to slurp right into the paper. Not enough sizing. It was fine for pencil or ballpoint but the paper still just felt mushy. Oh well. I made it through. Some books feel like a battle to get through. You fight every step of the way with the paper and are just glad when it's over. Other books are like a favorite song, they fly by quickly and with great joy, and then you hit repeat so you can listen again. This book was a battle for sure. But hey, I made it through and that means I can start a new book soon without this old one sitting there forlorn and uncompleted. So, here is a little flip through video to show you this book start to finish. It's a mixture of mess, exploration, and more finished artwork. Most of my books end up that way eventually even when I try to keep one all beautiful. Without a bit of mess and exploration it's hard to find understanding. So here it is, in all it's messy glory. This book spans about a year. I started it last Fall and set it aside again and again because I just don't love the paper, as I said. But I hated to leave it unfinished, so I kept at it. There is only one completely empty page. I'm ok with that. I just didn't find anything that I wanted to put opposite that drawing of my daughter's bathing suit and towel on the rack. Oh well. Maybe some day I will decide to put something there. But for now, I am happy to shelve this book and start a Strathmore 500 series mixed media book instead. That will be a breeze. A walk in the park. A song. The paper makes all the difference.

So, without further ado, here's the Stillman & Birn Zeta








No comments:

Post a Comment