Monday, September 8, 2014

Midcoast Maine travel journal


We spent the last week of August in Maine right on the coast by the water.  It was beautiful and I took several hundred photos of our adventures, but I also spent a lot of time drawing each day.  This first drawing was the view from our campground toward Cadillac Mountain... the kids like playing on top of the mountain so I thought it was cool that we could see it from our campground.



Ella read a lot... she stays still so I can draw her when shes reading.


There was so much going on that Tessa went back to taking naps a lot of days.  I drew her feet while she was napping as feet are something that I find tricky to draw... they are not too bad if they aren't moving :)


Here is the view from the top of Cadillac Mountain back toward our campground.


I started this drawing in ballpoint while Tessa was wading in the shallow water in Winter Harbor on the Schoodic Peninsula. I only got about 5 or 6 trees done while I was sitting on the beach through, so I took a somewhat lousy reference photo and then finished it up later. Drawing the trees was really meditative as they are really sort of just a pattern and once I have the idea I just put them in without really looking at the reference photo much.


I was sitting on a stoney beach when I drew this one fast and using water soluble crayons. I am not sure if I like these crayons all that much, but they were interesting to play with.


The day that I did this quick drawing we had gone on a boat from Bass Harbor out to Frenchboro and back again. By the time I had a couple of minutes to draw it was dark and I did this by flashlight at the picnic table as the mosquitoes started to eat me.  I finished it in about 10 minutes flat as I slapped mosquitoes!


4 color ballpoint a the laundromat in Millbridge.  Finished in the time it took to wash our clothes mid week.


We found tons of apple trees by the roadside and brought two bushels home to turn into apple butter for the winter. 


The kids liked a little spot called Blueberry Hill.  They found more blackberries than blueberries there though!


I bought myself this lovely winsor and newton series 7 brush while we were at a great little store called the Naturalist's Notebook.


I started this little watercolor sketch sitting in the parking lot at Thunder Hole near Bar Harbor, but didn't get time to finish.  Again, I snapped a blurry reference picture and came back to it to finish when I got home. Below you can see the colors that are in my new Winsor and Newton heavy duty watercolor box, which will get it's own post in the next few days for sure as I really like it and will be using it for a long time I am sure.

It was good to draw every day.  This isn't all the drawings I did at all, there were many more than I want to post all at once.  But these were my favorites.





2 comments:

  1. These are such lovely sketches - love the sparse layout calling attention to special memories of your holiday.
    I have a Winsor & Newton watercolour box that I got in my second year of high school - not going to say when - a long time ago and it's still going strong, well often refilled with tube colours. Yours will last you forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Carol :) as I think I said over on the Sketchbook Skool Facebook group, I think I prefer to make a smaller more detailed drawing a lot of the time and not fill up the page when I don't have a lot of time than to make fast and sloppy drawings... I am just more satisfied with the outcome of the whole book that way usually.

    I have a Schmincke lightweight watercolor box that I got when I was 17 or 18 that is great, but it's pretty banged up and doesn't fit as many brushes and a pencil or things like that in it. My new heavy duty W&N box is great... much tougher feeling and fits way more brushes comfortably! I think it will be a favorite for sure :)

    ReplyDelete