Friday, April 22, 2016

Fast and confident


I've been trying this week to draw as quickly as possible in small moments here and there. You see, this week is school vacation week, and all three of my kids are home and wanting my complete and total attention every moment of every day. So this is going to be a short post, for a week short on time for art of my own. 


My daughter has been playing with a new set of acrylic paints this week. Watching her has had a great impact on my drawing and painting this week. She is still young enough to be completely sure of herself as she boldly puts down colors and fills all the white space with color. There isn't any hesitation. No thinking about how to draw it or what color to paint it. She moves boldly and impulsively. So I have been working on being more bold and confident in my motions as draw. 


These drawings aren't very polished. They aren't perfect. But they were fast, and I feel more confident after a week drawing like this that I can draw quickly and be satisfied with it.... It doesn't always have to take a long time or be as perfect as possible. A little bit of Impressionism in drawings can be a good thing! I've been re-reading Mark Taro Holmes book The Urban Sketcher also and remembering some of his great techniques for fitting in drawing in quick moments and with a fast and fluid unstopping line. Sometimes it's good to step out of a rut you've been stuck in and try something you haven't done lately. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment