Tuesday, April 15, 2014

A few words about artistic satisfaction



Here is a set of pages from my most recent sketchbook.  Both are from the same day, but the one on the left made me feel completely as though I had failed (after all, it is difficult to make a good drawing while watching your kids riding their bikes on the road, right?), and the one on the right left me feeling like I might be able to sort of draw after all.  When I looked at these pages after completing them I wasn't sure if I would share them together or just scan the drawing of the French macarons and try to forget the other existed at all. But then I thought, what the hell, I started this blog as an exploration and to record my artistic journey for those who care to look.  Some drawings are better than others.  Some leave me feeling like an artistic disaster.  Some I like.  And so, I am off to make some more terrible drawings... ones with weird perspective and crazy lines that don't always make sense.  But somewhere among the crazy maybe there will be another lovely, clean and tidy box of macarons, or some other wonderful thing that will be a good drawing... the only way to get to the good drawings, the ones that you finish with a sigh and a smile, is to get past the crappy drawings, to keep drawing.  If Van Gogh had just quit what would have happened? His early drawings are really pretty lousy, but look at his paintings toward the end of his life... they were amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment